Students will walk away with a solid understanding of milestones and developmental pathways across each domain of children’s development.
The qualification Level 2 NCFE Cache Technical Award in Child Development and Care will be a platform to the next part of their journey in education.
As well as being clearly sequenced and building towards a clear end-point. The course addresses typical gaps in pupils' knowledge and skills. The course provides support for putting theory into practice by offering case studies and reflective questions to provoke discussion and to help support improvement.
A scheme of work is used to provide the framework and guide to the teaching and learning of Child Development & Care over a period of time. The scheme of work includes formative and summative assessment activities to inform the teaching and learning of the concepts, knowledge and skills as the scheme progresses.
Materials are adapted and templates are used for students who require extra support and guidance. Visual presentations are used to deliver information more directly.
Key Stage 3:
Child Development & Care is not delivered to Key stage 3 students
Key Stage 4:
Unit 01: An introduction to working with children aged 0-5 years
This is an introductory unit designed to give an overview of the types of settings and local provisions available for children. You will study the differences between the voluntary, private and statutory sectors, as well as the range of provision within your area. You will learn how to prepare for working in settings and the responsibilities of early years workers. You will also gain an insight into your preferred learning style and develop your ability to study.
Unit 02: Development and well-being 0-5 years
This unit focuses on holistic development of children and the factors that affect development. You will be introduced to ways of observing children so that you can support their development through appropriate activities and care routines. You will learn how to safeguard children to keep them safe and healthy. You will also learn how to work with children when they move from one setting to another.
Unit 03 Child care and development 0-5 years
This unit will assess your knowledge about the development of children aged 0-5 years. You will be expected to know about the different types of care settings and your responsibilities as an early years worker with children. You will need to show that you understand how children develop, what can affect their development and their individual needs they may have. You will need to show that you know ways to care for children and arrange simple activities that help them to develop in a healthy and safe way. You will also need to show that you understand the variety of ways that can support your own learning.
Exam board - NCFE CACHE
- There will be one 1 hour 30 mins exam at the end of year 11.
- There are two internally marked units (coursework): UNIT 1 and 2 graded A*, A, B, C, AND D
- 54.5% of the qualification grade.
EXAM - The synoptic external assessment contributes to 45.5% of the qualification grade.
- 80 marks
- The scenario based short answer examination will consist of a mixture of multiple-choice questions, short answer questions and extended response questions.
- Externally marked and graded A*, A, B, C, AND D .
Questions will be on application of knowledge and understanding from across the units 1 and 2.
Students are encouraged to do further research into the subject, for example by using books and websites, compiling presentations, or making posters.
Key Skills You will Learn:
During the course you will gain the following employability skills:
- Team working: respecting others, co-operating, contributing and leading discussions.
- Problem solving: applying creative thinking to develop appropriate solutions.
- Communication and literacy: Ability to produce clear, structured written work and oral literacy (speaking and listening).
- Early years or primary school teacher, Education consultant
- Family support worker, Health play specialist
- Learning mentor, Play therapist, Teaching assistant
- Level 3 Award in Childcare and Education
- Technical Level 3 Certificate in Childcare and Education
- Technical Level 3 Diploma in Childcare and Education (Early Years Educator)
Head of Department; Mrs J Shah j email@example.com