Students will walk away with a solid understanding of milestones and developmental pathways across each domain of children’s development.
The Level 2 NCFE Cache Technical Award in Child Development and Care qualification will be a platform to the next part of their journey in education.
As well as being clearly sequenced and building towards a clear endpoint. The course addresses typical gaps in students' knowledge and skills. The course provides support for putting theory into practice by offering case studies and reflective questions to provoke discussion and to help support improvement.
A scheme of work is used to provide the framework and guide to the teaching and learning of child development and care over a period of time. The scheme of work includes formative and summative assessment activities to inform the teaching and learning of the concepts, knowledge and skills as the scheme progresses.
Materials are adapted and templates are used for students who require extra support and guidance. Visual presentations are used to deliver information more directly.
Key Stage 3:
Child development and care is is only studied at KS4 (GCSE) as an options subject.
Key Stage 4:
Unit 1: An introduction to working with children aged 0-5 years
This is an introductory unit designed to give an overview of the types of settings and local provisions available for children. Students will study the differences between the voluntary, private and statutory sectors, as well as the range of provision within their area. They will learn how to prepare for working in settings and the responsibilities of early years workers. Students will also gain an insight into their preferred learning style and develop their ability to study.
Unit 2: Development and well-being 0-5 years
This unit focuses on holistic development of children and the factors that affect development. Students will be introduced to ways of observing children so that they can support children's development through appropriate activities and care routines. They will learn how to safeguard children to keep them safe and healthy. Students will also learn how to work with children when they move from one setting to another.
Unit 3 Child care and development 0-5 years
This unit will assess students' knowledge about the development of children aged 0-5 years. they will be expected to know about the different types of care settings and their responsibilities as an early years worker with children. Students will need to show that they understand how children develop, what can affect their development and their individual needs they may have. Students will need to show that they know ways to care for children and arrange simple activities that help them to develop in a healthy and safe way. Students will also need to show that they understand the variety of ways that can support their own learning.
- Exam board - NCFE CACHE.
- There will be one 1 hour 30 mins exam at the end of Year 11.
The synoptic external assessment contributes to 45.5% of the qualification grade.
- 80 marks.
- The scenario based short answer examination will consist of a mixture of multiple-choice questions, short answer questions and extended response questions.
- Externally marked and graded A*, A, B, C, and D.
- Questions will be on application of knowledge and understanding from across the units 1 and 2.
- There are two internally marked units (coursework): UNIT 1 and 2 graded A*, A, B, C, and D.
- 54.5% of the qualification grade.
Students are encouraged to do further research into the subject. For example by using books and websites, compiling presentations, or making posters.
Key Skills You will Learn:
During the course you will gain the following employability skills:
- Team working: respecting others, co-operating, contributing and leading discussions
- Problem solving: applying creative thinking to develop appropriate solutions
- Communication and literacy: Ability to produce clear, structured written work and oral literacy (speaking and listening).
- Level 3 Award in childcare and education
- Technical Level 3 Certificate in childcare and education
- Technical Level 3 Diploma in childcare and education (Early Years educator)
- Early years or primary school teacher
- Education consultant
- Family support worker
- Health play specialist
- Learning mentor
- Play therapist
- Teaching assistant
Head of Department: Mrs J Shah - j email@example.com