Catering & Hospitality
Students will learn a range of skills and develop their knowledge of all aspects of the hospitality and catering industry.
They will be able to propose new provisions for specific locations and use their learning of different establishments and job roles to determine the best option of provision. Students will learn and apply knowledge of front of house and kitchen operations. They will determine whether a provision is financially viable and if it meets the need of a potential market. Students apply their knowledge by safely preparing, cooking and presenting a wide range of nutritional dishes suitable for a variety of menus.
Key Stage 3
Food Technology aims to foster curiosity, ingenuity and imagination through personal involvement with nutritional concepts and ingredients. It also strives to increase pupils' understanding of the physical, social, emotional, cultural and nutritional needs of the individual, which change throughout the stages of their life.
Key Stage 4
- The structure of the industry, factors affecting the success of providers and analysing job requirements within the industry.
- The operation of the kitchen including front of house and explaining how the provision meets the customer requirements.
- The personal safety responsibilities in the workplace, identifying risks to personal safety and make recommendations for personal safety control measures in a provision
- The food related cause of ill health, common types of food poisoning and its symptoms.
- Understanding the food legislation and the roles and responsibility of the Environmental Health Officer (EHO)
- Reviewing options for a hospitality and catering provision and making recommendations.
- The functions of nutrients in the body and comparing the nutritional needs in specific groups.
- Factors to consider when proposing dishes for a menu by planning and preparing a wide range of dishes.
Through preparing, cooking and presenting variety of food demonstrating food safety and quality assurance.
- STEM workshops
- Cooking club
- Craft club
Key skills you will learn:
- An excellent attitude to learning and independent working.
- The ability to use time efficiently and work constructively and productively with others.
- The ability to carry out thorough research, show initiative and ask questions to develop an exceptionally detailed knowledge of customers’ needs.
- The ability to act responsibly, carefully and working safely using various kitchen equipment.
- The ability to apply mathematical knowledge and skills accurately.
- The ability to manage risks exceptionally well to manufacture products safely and hygienically.
- A passion for the subject.
Students who achieve this qualification could progress onto Level 3 qualifications and A levels, such as:
- Restaurant Manager
- Events manager
- Environmental Health Officer
- Health Promotional Specialist
- Personal Trainer
- Consumer Scientist
- Food Laboratory Technician
- Food Scientist/ Technologist
- Advanced A Level Design and Technology: Food Technology
- Advanced A Level Food Technology (Food, Nutrition and Health)
- Health & Social Care
- Diploma in Advanced Professional Cookery (Preparation and Cooking)
- Certificate in Hospitality and Catering
- Professional Cookery Studies Catering Manager
Head of Department: Mrs D Habashanti email@example.com